Book 73: The Hobbit

NUMBER: 73
TITLE: The Hobbit
AUTHOR: J.R.R. Tolkein
STARTED: ?
FINISHED: October 29, 2005
PAGES: 306
GENRE: Fantasy

FIRST SENTENCE: In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Whisked away from his comfortable, unambitious life in his hobbit-hole by Gandalf the wizard and a company of dwarves, Bilbo Baggins finds himself caught up in a plot to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon.

REASON FOR READING: Assigned in my ENG 205: The Literature of Fantasy class

THOUGHTS: Not bad. I've been afraid of Tolkein for quite some time. I saw the movies and loved them, but for some reason the books daunted me. I hated the animated version of The Hobbit and was scared that I would detest the book. That was not to be. The professor had the reading spread out in such a manner that I actually looked forward to reading the chapters. That does not happen to often.

I thought that the book was a cute story, kind of like a fairy tale for adults. The characters and world that Tolkein creates is absolutely fascinating. In some ways, I'm glad that I hated the movie because it allowed me to be pleasantly surprised by the book.

I now look forward to reading the trilogy.

MISCELLANEOUS: What would you do with a ring that makes you invisible?

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Keep
RATING: 7/10 [Very Good]

CR: A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton
RN: The Elements of Dramatism by David Blakesley

Comments