On Logic and Reason

I've decided that it is high-time that I actually start a journal based on nothing but books, reading, and writing. Those subjects are such a big part of my life that I need a personal outlet for my feelings, thoughts, etc. (I say "etc" because I will inevitable rant and curse about something in the future. Better to leave it open then to close options off for me in the future. Then again, this is my journal so it really doesn't matter. Gatesbooks is my domain to do with it what I will. *insert evil librarian laugh here.)

Basically, I need a place to cataloge what I read. This past year I read over a hundred books and I can already tell you that I have forgotten the plots, stories, and/or lessons of most of them. That's a sad thought. All that knowledge (or fluff) has gone in one ear and out the other. Thus, to keep my brain from leaking I will use this journal as a database as well as an open forum of discussion on matters related to the topics mentioned in paragraph one.

Recently, I have joined a number of book groups online. I *heart* them. Although some days I feel inundated with a ton of mail, I enjoy discussing books and reading. While I've known that I'm not the only book nerd on the planet (looks at father) it's nice to see it confirmed that there are other bookworms out there. Most of whom are much more wormish than myself. I strive to compete with them. Watch out... there is nothing scarier than a Meghan bent fully on competing with others in a literarybookreading war extravaganza. Heed my wrath or I may call upon members of my book mafia to come a steal your paperbacks.

For the future reference for myself and any others who may actually read this. My journal will have the following format, ratings system, and abbreviations.

Book Entry Heading
PICTURE OF BOOK: (If Possible)
NUMBER: (I'll be tracking the number of books I read in a year.)
TITLE: (Hello, My name is _____ )
AUTHOR: (I wrote the above.)
STARTED: (Probably sometime around midnight...)
FINISHED: (Probably finished sometime in the early morning a few days later)
PAGES: (I am either verbose or a word weakling)
GENRE: (Self-explanatory)

SUMMARY: (I'll be stealing this from either B&N, Amazon.com, or the publisher)

REASON FOR READING: (Self-explanatory)
THOUGHTS: (I like to rant... read at your own risk.)
MISCELLANEOUS: (You never know.)

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): (This is so know whether I kept the book, gave it to Melanie/Beth/Mom, or hide it so as never to read it again)
RATING: (See below)

CR: (See further below)
RN: (See above)

Rating System

10...One of the best books I have ever read
9....Excellent! Couldn't put it down
8....Terrific
7....Very Good
6....Good
5....I didn't particularly like it or dislike it; mixed review
4....An "okay" book, but I don't recommend it
3....Poor, lost interest
2....Awful
1....Don't waste your time
0....One of the worst books I have ever read

Abbreviations
TBR: To Be Read (Refers to the pile and/or boxes of books that I'm thinking about.)
CR: Currently Reading
RN: Reading Next

I have truly have no idea how this journal is going to turn-out and/or work (despite all my planning). It ought to be an interesting experience.

Check back soon.

CR: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
RN: Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden

Comments